Saturday 19 September 2009

Plinths and Plastic?

I can't figure out how I feel about artists like Anthony Gormley right now. Gormley has invited people from the UK to occupy a Fourth Plinth in Trafalgar Square. This is going on as we speak, and is supposed to represent freedom or something of that nature...freedom to stand, equality, sis boom blah bingo.

Come on. People standing on a plinth...art?

Who are the true geniuses these days? Do they make inflatable dolphins with saucepans hanging off them? Are these people really clever? I mean, seriously.



I might just start one of my own where everyone has to go to the bank, withdraw £1000 and give it to me, palm it off as 'Communist Democratic Monetary Art' and move to Barbados.  I'll just scribe the book in several years time. Do you think the critics will dig it?

No comments:

Post a Comment